Wednesday, 30 October 2013

a birthday, lots of changes and some caves

My eldest celebrated his 11th birthday last week.

This particular birthday coincided with a week of a few big changes for a couple of my children. While my eldest started catching public transport to his new school, my littlest has officially moved into her 'big girl bed'. With both of the changes, the kids were well and truly ready for the next stage and it was I who took a while to get my head around it. Despite my apprehension, I have been amazed that I have actually felt quite joyful and proud as I've watched them pass these milestones. I feel sad at times that there are no longer any babies in the house, but it is a joy to see who each of my four kids is becoming as they all grow up.

To celebrate the birthday milestone, we had a couple of afternoon teas with grandparents (with cake!) and then went on a trip out west on the weekend. He was really keen to visit Abercrombie Caves, so we went and stayed with my sister and her family in Bathurst last weekend and we all went on a day trip to the caves on Saturday. It was a good to get out into the Australian countryside again - but mostly it was good to have lots of time with family!


 
 
 
a blue wren

A group of bushrangers called 'The Ribbon Gang' used to hide out in the caves. This cave is where they hid the horses.
 



'This is an adventure'


the six cousins together at the park

we went along to a bushdance on the Saturday night (organised by Jon and Louise's church). It was at a property out of town and the kids loved it - especially this little groover!


2 comments:

Trevor Cairney said...

Love the photos Nic, everyone looks like they're having a great time.

Therese said...

I love reading your posts, Nic!! Brings the joy back into things, and its SUCH an encouragement!!!